The Gene W. Hirschfeld School of Dental Hygiene is committed to providing you with educational experiences that meet state licensure requirements and that are relevant to your needs for practice. We are pleased to serve as an educational resource for your continuing competency and lifelong learning.
We now offer 2 methods of registration:
- Online: Register Here.
- Telephone: Call Continuing Education Operations (757) 683-4247 weekdays 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to register by phone with a credit card. Please reference the course numbers below when registering
Continuing Dental Hygiene Education Winter Weekend
February 22-24, 2013
The newly renovated Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel will be our setting again for 2013!
February 22-24, 2013 Sheraton Oceanfront Hotel, Virginia Beach, VA
An Intensive Continuing Education program designed to provide participants with 15 CE hours all in one weekend. Topics Include:
- 10 Things You Should Never Say to Patients: Communication Tools You Need Presenter: Dianne Glasscoe Watterson, RDH, BS, MBA 3 CE Hours
- Clinical Dental Hygiene and Health Law: Impact on the Dental Hygienist Presenter: Rebecca Wilder, RDH, MS 3 CE Hours
- Be Very Afraid: An Introduction to Modern Cariology Presenter: Brian Novy, DDS 6 CE Hours
- Oral Cancer Detection and Treatment Presenter: Brian Schmidt, DDS, MD, PhD, FACS 3 CE Hours
RDH Early Bird Registration Discount $220 RDH Term 201235 CN 90031 Before 1/16/13
$270 RDH Term 201235 CN 90032 After 1/16/13
Call 757-683-4247 or click here to register today!
CE Cruise to the Bahamas
CRUISE the CARIBBEAN and receive 9 CE credit hours
Leave from Norfolk, VA on a 5-night CE cruise to tropical Nassau and Freeport in the Bahamas. Relax on the Carnival Glory! Includes CE courses plus time to tour and explore.
- Tobacco Use: Trends, Tool-kits, Tenacity Part 1
- Tobacco Use: Trends, Tool-kits, Tenacity Part 2
- HPV and Oral Cancer: A New Twist on Dental Hygiene Practice
Speaker: Jacqueline Fried, RDH, MS, Associate Professor and Director of Interprofessional Initiatives, University of Maryland School of Dentistry
For more information and to register: Call 757-683-5479 or visit http://www.odubusinessgateway.com/pdc/dhcruise
Conscious Sedation (Nitrous Oxide-Oxygen) Refresher CE Course for Dental Hygienists
April 6, 2013 Term 201245 CN 90045
Course Fee: $150.00
Satisfies VA state code 18VAC60-20-50, requiring dental hygienists who monitor conscious sedation to earn 4 continuing education credit hours every 2 years to maintain competence in nitrous oxide-oxygen sedation. Topics include: patient selection and assessment, neurophysiology and pharmacology, patient management and techniques of administration of nitrous oxide-oxygen. This course includes both didactic and clinical application. Call the Continuing Education office at (757) 683-4247 to register with a credit card. Please reference the above course numbers when registering.
Local Anesthesia/Nitrous Oxide Sedation Certification for Dental Hygienists
The School of Dental Hygiene is offering this 36-hour continuing education course on the following dates:
- July 5, 6, 7 and 8, 2013 Term # 201315, CN# 90007
Course fee: $1,299.00
Limited to 30 participants
Call Continuing Education Operations (757) 683-4247 weekdays 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to register by phone with a credit card. Please reference the course number above when registering.
Written refund requests received at least 1 week prior to the start of the course will be assessed a $50 cancellation fee. No refunds will be issued for cancellations received less than 1 week prior to the start of the course. Registration fees for cancelled registrations may not be applied to future events. The sponsor reserves the right to cancel any course, in which case the registration fee will be fully refunded.
Dental Radiation Safety Certification
- September 12 and 15, 2012 Term 201215 CN 90022
- October 10 and 13, 2012 Term 201225 CN 90025
- March 27 and 30, 2013 Term 201235 CN 90013
- June 5 and 8, 2013 Term 201245 CN 90017
*Please note that the March course will meet 6:30-9:30pm on Wednesday.
Class meets on Wed. 6pm-9pm and continues on Sat. 8:30am-4:30pm.
Designed to prepare on-the-job trained dental assistants for successful completion of the examination leading to a dental radiation certificate. Lecture and lab activity cover radiation physics, biology, protection, and regulations guiding the use of ionizing radiation. Technical competency is NOT covered in this course. Must be 18 years of age or older to participate.
To register, call the CE Office directly at 757-683-4247
Course fee: $175.00
Limited to 24 participants
For more information about dental hygiene CE course offerings, Contact Ann. M. Bruhn, Continuing Education Coordinator at 757-683-3851 or firstname.lastname@example.org