E. Andrew Balas M.D. Ph.D.
Strategic leadership for health improvement; policy priorities for the production of new scientific knowledge responsive to societal needs; and application of advanced information technologies for transferring research to practice.
Semmelweis University, Budapest, M.D.
Eotvos University of Sciences, Budapest, Applied Mathematics
University of Utah School of Medicine, Ph.D. in Health Informatics
Pre- and post-doctoral advising
Health information systems
- Balas EA, Krishna S, Kretschmer RA, Cheek TR, Lobach DF, Boren SA. Computerized Knowledge Management in Diabetes Care. Medical Care 2004;42(6):610-621.
- Kawamoto K, Houlihan CA, Balas EA, Lobach DF. Improving Clinical Practice Using Clinical Decision Support Systems: A Systematic Review of Randomized Controlled Trials to Identify System Features Critical to Success. British Medical Journal (BMJ) (in press).
- Balas EA, Boren SA. Managing Clinical Knowledge for Health Care Improvement. Yearbook of Medical Informatics. Schattauer, 2000:65-70.
- Balas EA, Weingarten S, Garb CT, Blumenthal D, Boren SA, Brown GD. Improving preventive care by prompting physicians.Arch Intern Med. 2000;160(3):301-8.
Selected Funded Research Experiences:
- PANACEIA Interactive Health Television. European Commission, Project director ($100,000) 2003-2004
- Integrated Advanced Information Management System (IAIMS) Planning. National Library of Medicine, Project Director ($250,00) 2004-2006
- Boonslick Rural Network Consortium. Cooper County Memorial Hospital, Co-Investigator ($237,755), 2001-2004.
- Point of Care Delivery of Research Evidence: Patient Safety and Training for Minority Health Care (Supplement). Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. RO1-HS10472-02, Principal Investigator ($254,512), 2001-2004.
- Point of Care Delivery of Research Evidence. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, RO1-HS10472, Principal Investigator ($1,453,000), 2000-2004.
- LIQUID - Cross-Lingual Access to Clinical Information, European Commission, Project Co-Director ($17,022), 2001-2003.
- Citizen Health System. European Commission, Project Director ($110,000), 2000-2003.
College of Health Sciences
Old Dominion University
Norfolk, VA 23529