Academic Advising at Old Dominion University
ODU utilizes a developmental model of advising. Your advisor's role is to help you find the information and experiences that will move your life in the direction you choose. Health Sciences Advisors will not "prescribe" answers or programs to you. They believe academic advising is a collaborative process and ultimately, you - the student - are responsible for your educational experience. Career and academic development are integral parts of your undergraduate education. Advising is a triad between you, your academic advisor and your career management advisor. We encourage students to utilize all their resources at ODU>
- Create an open, respectful and supportive environment for all people.
- Listen carefully to your questions, concerns and confusions.
- Effectively communicate the curriculum, graduation requirements and University and College policies and procedures.
- Encourage and guide you as you define and develop realistic goals.
- Monitor and document your progress toward meeting your goals.
- Encourage and support you as you gain skills and knowledge.
- Provide you with information about resources and services on campus.
- Be accessible in helping you gain skills in decision-making and assuming responsibility.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Schedule regular appointments or make regular contact with your advisor.
- Come prepared to each appointment with questions or materials for discussion.
- Be active in the advising process.Ask questions when you do not understand an issue.
- Keep a record of your progress toward meeting your goal and bring it with you to every
- Be open to developing and clarifying your personal values and goals.
- Research college programs, policies, procedures and opportunities as appropriate.
- Check your student e-mail on a regular basis.
- Accept responsibility for your decisions, behaviors and consequences.
Career Management Advisor Responsibilities (Randy Shabro's, Health Sciences CMC liaison):
- Provides orientations and seminars
- Provides cyber coaches for on-line career information
- Helps students explore possible careers.
- Helps develop strong resumes and cover letters
- Helps students in before and after graduation job searches
- Develops networking
- Will facilitate mock interviews
- Get the competitive ege for Graduate School
- Arrange for job fair
Visit the Old Dominion University Family Connection website (http://uc.odu.edu/familyconnection/)for additional information for parents.